Job title: Aerial Insectivore Project – 2 Field Biologists
Job description: Bird Studies Canada (BSC) – Ontario Region is seeking 2 highly motivated field biologists to help with the delivery of stewardship, research and monitoring activities for several aerial insectivore species at risk in southern Ontario including Bank and Barn Swallow. These positions are anticipated to start at the beginning of May and are 3 to 4 months in duration. These positions are based out of Bird Studies Canada’s headquarters in Port Rowan, Ontario but will require travel throughout southern Ontario.
Duties will include:
1. Extensive field work: nest searching and monitoring, bird surveys (e.g., point counts, area searches, territory mapping), habitat sampling, capturing and handling birds at nest sites, application of radio and nano-tag transmitters, and manual radio tracking.
2. Entering data and maintaining databases.
3. Communicating with landowners, volunteers and the general public.
4. Assisting with the development of technical reports and publications.
– Good knowledge of southern Ontario birds, particularly aerial insectivores, including their biology and conservation issues
– Able to identify aerial insectivore species by sight and sound
– Solid understanding of bird sampling techniques
– Desire to work with private landowners and the public to promote voluntary stewardship activities
– High level of organizational, record keeping and oral communication skills
– Comfortable conducting field work in rural, urban and forest environments
– Valid driver’s licence
– Valid first aid certification (obtained before start date)
– Knowledge and/or experience with population sampling techniques (point counts)
– Stewardship or outreach experience, particularly related to species at risk
– Experience banding and handling songbirds
– Experience with GPS, compass and maps
– Data management
– Working towards, or in possession of, a B.Sc. in biology (or related field).
– Meet Canada Summer Jobs requirements
SALARY: $2,300 – $2,500 (CDN) per month, plus legal benefits and housing accommodations.
February 26, 2016 (with interviews tentatively planned for week of February 29 to March 4, 2016)
To apply, send a short cover letter, highlighting your qualifications, plus your resume, and three references to BSC Ontario Program Manager, Gregor Beck (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please submit your cover letter, resume and references as a single pdf file. Applications failing to highlight relevant qualifications and experience will not be considered.
Note: Some positions may be funded by the Canada Summer Jobs program, and therefore some hiring preference may be giving to applicants that meet eligibility criteria. However, applicants not meeting eligibility are still encouraged to apply. To meet eligibility criteria for Canada Summer Jobs funding, the candidate must: (1) be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment; (2) have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year; (3) be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and, (4) be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
Notes: While Bird Studies Canada welcomes all applications, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Position availability subject to confirmation of funding. If you are interested in applying to more than one job posting with Bird Studies Canada, you may submit a SINGLE application, but please indicate clearly in your cover letter what position(s) you are interested in. Please also indicate if you are eligible for the Canada Summer Jobs program.
You must to bookmark this listing.
Apply For job
Upload Resume (optional)
Upload your resume or any other relevant file. Max. file size: 8 MB.
Are you human?
You can apply to this job and others using your online resume. Click the link below to submit your online resume and email your application to this employer.
Expected salary: $2300 – 2500 per month
Location: Port Rowan, ON
Job date: Sat, 05 Sep 2020 03:28:14 GMT
Apply for the job now!
Note; Dear candidates, this vacancy (or write up) is 100% free of cost, please don't pay any fee or do not provide your financial documents, like Credit card/ Debit card and many more...
Please share this job vacant to help other people