Civil Engineer II – Senior Water Resource Engineer
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Senior Water Resource Engineer position focuses on green infrastructure design and delivery will provide leadership and engineering expertise to an inter-disciplinary, inter-departmental team responsible for implementing the Vancouver’s Rain City Strategy and Streets & Public Space Action Plan. The position will be focused on immediate application of rainwater management and green infrastructure strategies to support implementation plans, internal and external design, construction and asset management.
The position will support the City’s efforts to be a leader in holistic and integrated approaches to water management and green infrastructure to help shape a more livable, equitable and resilient city that helps revive its urban watersheds and ecosystems while supporting green jobs and urban development.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides senior engineering leadership, expertise and technical guidance to support an ambitious green infrastructure capital delivery program.
- Develops and applys frameworks to identify, evaluate, and prioritize integration of rainwater management and green infrastructure in transportation and other public realm capital projects
- Develops guidance materials and processes related to capital design, construction, establishment, operations and maintenance and monitoring and performance evaluation plans for public realm green infrastructure delivered by external developers, designers and/or contractors
- Prepares materials and design specification package, design concept development, inter-departmental liaison, design reviews and approvals, construction inspections as well as compliance review for internally and externally designed green infrastructure
- Develops and manages consultant and construction contracts (including scopes of work, requests for proposals and contract execution), develop budgets for infrastructure capital works and forecast operational and maintenance needs for capital works
- Develops frameworks, processes and metrics by which to evaluate and learn from the design, construction, maintenance and performance of GI installations and to support continuous improvement in our implementation efforts
- Liaises with other City departments to coordinate the design, planning and construction of green infrastructure
- Provides strategic and technical support for major, city-led planning or policy initiatives that require an integrated approach to rainwater management
- Supervises engineers and other technical staff
- Represents the Green Infrastructure Implementation Branch in departmental and organizational strategic plans and planning programs
- Prepares technical reports, council reports, presentations, letters & memos
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Water Resource or Environmental Engineering
- Minimum 8 years of experience as an engineer
- Registration or eligibility to register as a Professional Engineer in British Columbia
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A sound working knowledge and experience in the application of engineering principles to the design and construction of green infrastructure and other rainwater management systems
- Strong leadership, supervisory and collaboration skills
- Strong project management experience to effectively deal with multiple tasks of moderate complexity
- Experience reviewing and providing direction on designs developed by external consultant teams, construction field inspections and lifecycle asset management for green infrastructure
- Experience developing and managing consultant and construction contracts
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills
- Strong knowledge or skill in using computer software such as AutoCAD, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to work independently and to provide professional interdisciplinary advice and technical guidance while functioning effectively in a team environment
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: December 2020
Application close: November 18, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities. The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Note; Dear, this vacancy (or write up) is 100% FREE of cost, please don't pay any fee and DO NOT provide your financial documents, like Credit card/ Debit card and many more to anyone...
Please SHARE to help other people
Check if you qualify to work in Canada. It takes only about 1 minutes and it's FREE