Job title: Conservation Technicians
Job description: The Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) is a private, non-profit organization that prides itself on its entrepreneurial, science-based approach to achieving conservation success through direct action. Since 1962, NCC and its partners have protected more than 14 million hectares (35 million acres) of ecologically significant land across Canada, with more than 84,000 hectares (207,000 acres) in Ontario. NCC focuses on conservation through private action and has a strong track record of partnering with individuals, corporations, community groups, conservation groups and government bodies to create win-win solutions that benefit nature.
PURPOSE AND GENERAL DESCRIPTION
The Conservation Technicians will work closely with NCC Coordinators – Conservation Biology across Ontario to support conservation programs. The Conservation Technicians will assist in the implementation of the stewardship and management program for significant natural lands protected by NCC across Ontario by working closely with NCC staff, partner organizations, local stewards and volunteers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct baseline inventories and vegetation community classification for NCC properties;
- Conduct annual property inspections to ensure early detection and management of natural disturbances, vandalism, trespassing, emerging threats, and risks and liabilities;
- Monitor biodiversity targets (e.g. species at risk, vegetation communities) and threats (e.g. invasive species);
- Complete compliance monitoring of conservation easements;
- Implement recommended stewardship and management actions on NCC properties, with a focus on invasive species monitoring and removal, trail monitoring and maintenance, assisting with volunteer events, developing communication materials and installing property signs;
- Assist with developing and writing property management plans, conservation easement monitoring reports and effectiveness monitoring reports;
- Assist with data collection, data entry, analysis and reporting as required to develop and implement property management plans.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
This posting is targeted to individuals possessing the following skills:
- Demonstrated interest in conservation issues in Ontario;
- Experience/knowledge in collecting and compiling information on natural areas, including natural features, threats etc.;
- Ability to identify common Ontario plants, wildlife and vegetation communities as well as experience using dichotomous identification keys;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Highly motivated, analytical and detail oriented; creative, pro-active thinker;
- Ability to work well within team structure;
- Experience working with volunteers;
- Proficient with word processing, desktop publishing, and spreadsheet software;
- Ability to work outdoors for extended periods in various weather conditions (e.g. high summer temperatures and humidity, heavy rain) and on various terrain;
- Ability to carry heavy equipment for long hours over rough terrain;
- Navigational skills including experience with field GPS unit, compass, and air photo interpretation;
- Valid class “G” driver’s license and ability to rent a vehicle in Ontario.
The following additional skills and abilities would be assets in these positions:
- Pesticide exterminator license;
- Standard First Aid – Level C CPR certification;
- Experience using chainsaws, brush cutters, farm utility vehicles, power tools, lawn tractors and other mechanized stewardship equipment; experience driving pick up trucks and utility trailers.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
- These are full-time positions within the period of Monday, April 6, 2020 – Friday, November 27, 2020. Most positions will be from May to August. Note that the exact length and location of each position is dependent on funding.
- Positions are based out of Elgin (Frontenac Arch), Napanee, Roseneath, or London. Some positions will involve travel to and from field sites including overnights away from the office location. Many positions will require some weekend and evening work.
- Positions in all of these locations are dependent on receipt of funding.
- Funding restrictions for some of these positions require that applicants meet the following criteria:
- Must have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year OR graduated from school in the semester directly before the work term (i.e. completed school in April 2020);
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or a person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of employment;
- Must have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
Visit http://www.natureconservancy.ca/en/who-we-are/work-with-us/ and click Conservation Internship Program to view current opportunities and apply through the Career Centre.
Application Deadline: Monday February 17th, 2020 (11:59 PM EST)
Late applications will not be considered.
No telephone calls please. We thank everyone who applies for their interest in the Nature Conservancy of Canada; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
At the Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) we strive to promote diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
NCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, we will provide accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require.
Job date: Sat, 05 Sep 2020 00:22:55 GMT
Apply for the job now!
Note; Dear candidates, this vacancy (or write up) is 100% free of cost, please don't pay any fee or do not provide your financial documents, like Credit card/ Debit card and many more...
Please share this job vacant to help other people