Director, Digital Business Services
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Director, Digital Business Services is a newly created strategic transformation role accountable for development and execution of the business unit’s Digital Services strategy, operational management of all citizens facing digital service delivery and oversight of the suite of technologies used by staff to conduct their day to day business. The Director is accountable for managing the end to end technology strategy for any staff or customer technology or data sources utilized to deliver Development, Buildings and Licensing (DBL) department services and is accountable for the strategic development of the business unit’s technology ecosystem to maintain, improve and innovate in the area of digital services. As a key member of the DBL leadership team, the Director is responsible for planning, directing and co-ordinating the operation of the Digital Services, Process and Technology team (formerly known as DBL Strategic Operations) to modernize the delivery of DBL core services.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Leads the development, implementation, and ongoing management of organization-wide digital technology plans and programs, including managing web/mobile development and design, information architecture, web application and all other emerging digital channels.
- Provides expert advice and formal presentations to senior City management in the planning, prioritization, development and execution of a digital strategy for DBL
- Works with the Technology Leadership Team to leverage the Annual Technology Plan to advance business unit interests and strategy. Participates in policy development and project steering committees responsible for the formulation and planning of the City’s overall direction in Digital Channel evolution.
- Oversees the design, development and performance of a range of public facing applications. Directs life-cycle planning, ensuring that migration and consolidation opportunities, technical innovations, key business events are factored into portfolio planning.
- Ensures continued improvement of departmental process such as work intake management, resource planning, demand management, capacity planning, service level metrics definition.
- Provides departmental leadership, including hiring, assigning responsibilities, evaluating performance, coaching, mentoring, training and development, and discipline up to and including termination.
- Assesses risks, scopes resource requirements and manages budgets and operating costs to ensure value for money and sustainable development of teams and services
- Provides technical advice, guidance and consultation to business unit clients and project teams.
- Leads policy and framework development for technology oriented product and program management.
- Develops and implements processes and application mechanisms to support the end to end product management lifecycle.
- Develops and implements processes and application mechanisms to fully support a program management delivery framework.
- Responsible for the creation and maintenance of all technology product roadmaps, including liaison with stakeholders to manage business and technology driven product changes.
- Promotes customer satisfaction with technology products, through the implementation and management of technology focused programs.
- Oversees operational performance metric program and meets objectives including providing accurate and timely delivery of dashboards and reports to business unit directors, city executives and internal clients for distribution and decision support analysis.
- Acts as DBL contact person to Finance, Risk and Supply Management for forecasting, performance management and annual service planning.Sets strategy for leveraging performance data from across all direct channel sources e.g. Digital, Online, Mobile Apps, Social Media, and Contact Centre.
- Identifies and prioritizes opportunities to improve value-for-money through the reconfiguration and integration of digital, contact centre and in-person delivery channels, with emphasis on a “digital first” principle.
- As the primary contact point for direct channel service delivery within DBL, liaises with General Managers and operational leaders to report on performance, address service issues, identify business unit needs and advance improvement opportunities.
- Using customer insights and cross channel analytics, champion excellence in end-to-end citizen experience across channels
- Identifies data and analytics requirements to manage service channel performance.
- Proactively looks for ways to improve the overall support delivery experience to end user and takes action to implement those enhancements.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- University degree in a discipline related to information systems/management, business, public administration (or an equivalent combination of education and experience)
- 10+ years’ experience in operations management with a focus on digital service delivery.
- 10 years of professional experience in one or more of the following areas: multi channel operations, business strategy, communication strategy, digital project management, digital product management, digital technologies, digital strategy, user experience design and/or information sciences.
- Demonstrable experience leading complex digital transformation initiatives and programs including accountability for managing roadmaps, process improvement, programs, projects, portfolios.
- Experience of managing the expectations of stakeholders with conflicting needs and demands, engaging with senior stakeholders, and developing a pipeline of customer adoption.
- Demonstrated experience in managing complex work flows and multi-tasking under pressure and on deadline.
- Experience managing employees (preferably in a unionized environment), project team and contractors.
- Demonstrated experience in guiding and working in a collaborative environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive understanding of current and emerging best practices related to customer service operations, multi channel service delivery, IT, digital technology, digital channel strategy, user-centered design and web analytics.
- Understanding of direct channel technology and service delivery models, with specific application in a local government context.
- Strong program management and analytical skills.
- Extensive knowledge of performance management, data and analytics in an operational context
- Strong ability to think strategically.
- Strong orientation toward detail, customer service and creativity in problem-solving, expertise in relating to vendors, c-suite stakeholders and business colleagues.
- Strong problem solving approach and ability to understand new business models and domains.
- Demonstrated ability as a valued senior team member who can effectively and positively influence others in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Exemplary editorial, presentation and communications skills.
- Ability to switch contexts fast between generating ideas, experimenting with solutions and collaborating with stakeholders and users and executing with rapid turnaround times.
- Ability to communicate effectively; foster high standards; coach; inspire and manage multi-disciplinary teams in a fast-paced, performance-focused environment using excellent interpersonal, visual design, presentation and written skills.
- Strong sense of accountability and commitment to end-user advocacy, with demonstrated ability to work under pressure, manage multiple priorities and respond to requests in a timely manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts and team members to provide advice, information and assistance.
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders, develop solutions to service delivery challenges, generate buy-in and advance digital strategy initiatives.
- Ability to evaluate current and proposed programs and identify areas of potential improvement
Business Unit/Department: Development, Buildings & Licensing (1250)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Application Close: October 18, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities. The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Note; Dear, this vacancy (or write up) is 100% FREE of cost, please don't pay any fee and DO NOT provide your financial documents, like Credit card/ Debit card and many more to anyone...
Please SHARE to help other people
Check if you qualify to work in Canada. It takes only about 1 minutes and it's FREE