Director of Civic Engagement and Communications
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
As the new Director, Civic Engagement and Communications (Director, CEC) you will report to the City Manager and lead the development and implementation of strategic engagement and communications plans for the City by leveraging all channels available to reach, inform, and listen to internal and external stakeholders. This is a challenging and high-profile role that will be an exciting career move for a proven communications/engagement professional.
The City’s Communications function has evolved to emphasize a focus on engaging stakeholders as a priority from the outset of new programs. Today, the citizens and businesses of Vancouver want to be consulted and to have opportunities to fully understand the implications and impact of the City’s plans and projects. To meet these expectations, the City has committed to engaging and informing the public and to giving them an ongoing voice through meaningful civic engagement and communications strategies.
Leading a team of talented professionals, the Director, CEC, is a critical link for all internal and external stakeholders for the City, acting as leader, strategic advisor, and public engagement expert in all communications for the City of Vancouver.
The Ideal Candidate
As a respected leader in current engagement and communications methods, you bring a demonstrated track record of success in a public service context.
- You are a consummate communications leader bringing proven expertise in engagement and communications methodologies to the role.
- You understand the importance of and the most effective ways to inform and engage stakeholders in the journey.
- A creative and inspiring communicator, a compelling spokesperson, and an excellent writer, you have been a trusted advisor to the highest levels of your organization, and an inspiring and responsible leader to your team. You are politically savvy and a true relationship builder, forming meaningful relationships with stakeholders at all levels internally and externally.
- Your strategic leadership has resulted in effective short-and-long-term planning for engagement, communications and for managed emerging issues with timely, well-crafted responses.
- You bring a global outlook, which has helped to position your organization as a leader on the world stage.
As a member of the City Leadership Team (CLT) and reporting to the City Manager, the Director of Civic Engagement and Communications for the City of Vancouver is a valued strategic advisor to the City Manager and the General Managers of the City’s major service groups and departments.
The Director is a critical link between the City Manager’s Office, the CLT, Council and the office of the Mayor, to ensure communications alignment and coordination at the highest level of the City to support public policy. The Director has oversight of all internal, external and digital information provided to the public, elected officials, the media, employees, and the City’s partners, and is the key advisor on emerging issues as well as long-term engagement and communications goals.
Leading the Civic Engagement and Communications Department in the development and execution of engagement and communications strategies, the Director will oversee the implementation of awareness, social marketing and information campaigns to advance the City’s strategic goals.
Collaborating with the new Chief Equity Officer, the Director will provide support for the Equity Framework and for all City goals, initiatives and issues involving Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, as well as develop and deliver strategies to strengthen the City’s engagement with Indigenous and ethnic communities.
The Director leads and serves as the City’s representative on interagency working groups (such as federal, provincial, municipal, business, not-for-profits/community organizations) and links with other external organizations.
Key Reporting Relationships
- Reports to: City Manager
- Direct Reports: Assistant Director, 6 Managers, 2 Administrative Assistants; oversees 35-40 staff
- Collaborates with: Managers of Engagement in key departments
- Undergraduate degree required; advanced degree preferred in Public Engagement, Public Administration, Communications, Journalism or other related field, or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated experience developing strategic engagement and communications plans, managing organizational change and strategies for organization wide initiatives
- 15+ years of strategic communications experience
- A demonstrated track record of success as a senior leader in a large, complex organization, ideally with experience in a public service context
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
How to Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date October 31, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities. The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Note; Dear, this vacancy (or write up) is 100% FREE of cost, please don't pay any fee and DO NOT provide your financial documents, like Credit card/ Debit card and many more to anyone...
Please SHARE to help other people
Check if you qualify to work in Canada. It takes only about 1 minutes and it's FREE