Job title: Gardens Assistant
Job description: Responsible for ensuring the successful preservation and restoration of a unique 900+ acre site, rare is located in one of the fastest growing areas of the country. Its lands provide a natural laboratory for scientific study and research, related education and research based education programs. Supervised by and reporting to the Property, Facility and Garden Coordinator while working in a team environment with all program advisors, staff, and volunteers, the Gardens Assistant is responsible for assisting in: managing various organic gardens and landscaping on the property, providing guidance to groups of volunteers of varying ages and skills, leading and coordinating education garden programs for schools, community organizations, and families as part of rare’s education program, and other related duties as required.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
· General maintenance of organic gardens, including planting, pest management, weeding, mulching, watering, harvesting etc.
· Assisting with plant propagation in the hoop house
· Planning and coordinating public involvement in the gardens, including the supervision and management of volunteers from corporate groups, schools, non-profits, and individual members of the community
· Working with and providing leadership to Food Bank clients who assist in the 15,000 sq ft Food Bank gardens as part of the Self-Help Food Bank Co-op Program
· Providing landscape maintenance at our community garden plots. A system of 110 garden plots rented by community members
· Helping teach younger students and campers about organic gardening with a hands-on approach including plant care, fun facts, harvesting and tasting.
· Making deliveries of harvested produce to the local food banks
· Assisting with general lawn/garden care and property maintenance at various rare buildings
· Staffing information booths at local events and farmers markets
· Assisting with any construction or building maintenance projects that may arise on the property
· Staying abreast of safety and accepted practices and ensuring compliance by everyone involved
· Assisting with the organization and maintenance of tools, machinery, and farm vehicles
· Being available on both weekday and weekend hours as the position requires schedule flexibility
· Writing of blog entries and gathering other information or pictures for social media
· Field work experience
· Ability to work in all weather conditions, including rain, heat and exposure to biting insects
· Physically fit, able to lift and carry heavy weights
· Ability to use manual and powered equipment, and mechanically inclined
· Some supervisory/training experience and a demonstrated ability for team work
· You must have a valid G class driver’s license with a clean driver’s abstract
· Ability to operate a small farm tractor is considered an asset.
· Gardening experience is considered an asset
· Between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
· Registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year and intending to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
· Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or have official refugee protection status under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and
· Legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
This job is subject to government funding approval.
Application deadline is Monday, March 13th, 2017 at 5:00pm.
Please send resume and cover letter in ONE pdf along with the names, e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers for three professional references to:
Property, Facility and Gardens Coordinator
rare Charitable Research Reserve
Telephone: 519-650-9336 x115
The rare Charitable Research Reserve strives to promote diversity in the workplace. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals who meet the funding eligibility requirements.
You must to bookmark this listing.
Apply For job
Upload Resume (optional)
Upload your resume or any other relevant file. Max. file size: 8 MB.
Are you human?
You can apply to this job and others using your online resume. Click the link below to submit your online resume and email your application to this employer.
Location: Cambridge, ON
Job date: Sat, 05 Sep 2020 01:38:35 GMT
Apply for the job now!
Note; Dear candidates, this vacancy (or write up) is 100% free of cost, please don't pay any fee or do not provide your financial documents, like Credit card/ Debit card and many more...
Please share this job vacant to help other people