Job title: Invasive Species Research Technician
Job description: Please Note: Position is dependent upon external funding, yet to be received by the OFAH
Start Date: Usually in June, but specific date to be determined (pending funding approval)
Duration: Usually between 6-12 weeks, but specific duration to be determined (pending funding approval)
Rate of Pay: $14.50 per hour
Number of Positions: 1 position
Location: Windsor, ON
Applicants must have been full-time post-secondary students in the 2017-2018 academic year, under 30 years of age, and be returning to post-secondary school full-time in September 2018, as per the requirements of the Government of Canada’s Canada Summer Jobs Program.
The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH), in partnership with the University of Windsor’s Department of Biological Sciences, is currently searching for a hard working motivated individual to assist with our Invading Species Awareness Program (ISAP).
– Become familiar with the biology and ecology of invasive aquatic invertebrates, invasive scuds, and potential new invaders;
– Assist in the collection of biological data;
– Collect aquatic invertebrate samples and other specimens;
– Sorting, counting, and identifying individual samples;
– Study the distribution and abundance of invasive species at sites on Lake Erie, the Detroit and St. Clair Rivers; and
– Assist in the development of the experimental design for the project.
Education and Qualifications:
– Enrolled in post-secondary education in biology, environmental science or a related resource management program;
– Registered as a full-time student in post-secondary education for the 2017-2018 academic school year in one of the above related fields, and enrollment in post-secondary education for the fall of 2018;
– Between the ages of 15 and 30 at the beginning of employment;
– Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and
– Legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
Required Skills and Experience:
– Knowledge of the biology and ecology of invasive species;
– Knowledge of the protocols and methodologies involved in the collection of biological data;
– Experience in collecting aquatic specimens;
– Experience working within a laboratory/familiar with the use of laboratory equipment;
– Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work on a variety of projects;
– Experience networking with resource professionals/agencies;
– Strong written and oral communication skills; and
– Familiar with computer (e.g. MS Office, MS Outlook, Internet).
– Proof of enrollment in post-secondary education for the Fall of 2018 (e.g. letter from the school, time table, etc.);
– Valid driver’s license (class G);
– Valid pleasure craft operators card;
– Valid police reference check; and
– Valid OFAH Membership.
– Valid emergency first aid with level A CPR and AED certification (as a minimum); and
– Valid fishing licence.
Please submit in one document an OFAH Invading Species Research Technician Application Form, (application form can be downloaded from our website, www.ofah.org/jobs), cover letter, resume and one letter of reference indicating the location to which you are applying and how your skills and qualifications meet each of the requirements of this position to:
Attention: Invading Species Awareness Program Coordinator
Ontario Federation of Anglers & Hunters
P.O. Box 2800
Peterborough, Ontario K9J 8L5
Fax: (705) 748-9577
NO TELEPHONE CALLS EMAIL INQUIRIES PLEASE
The deadline for applications is April 29, 2018 @ 11:59PM
Only candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters is an equal opportunity and accessible employer.
The OFAH is committed to providing accessible opportunities for all qualified job applicants. Should you require an accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please contact Julie Young, Human Resources at 705-748-6324 x245 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
You must to bookmark this listing.
Apply For job
Upload Resume (optional)
Upload your resume or any other relevant file. Max. file size: 8 MB.
Are you human?
You can apply to this job and others using your online resume. Click the link below to submit your online resume and email your application to this employer.
Expected salary: $14.5 per hour
Location: Windsor, ON
Job date: Fri, 04 Sep 2020 23:41:19 GMT
Apply for the job now!
Note; Dear candidates, this vacancy (or write up) is 100% free of cost, please don't pay any fee or do not provide your financial documents, like Credit card/ Debit card and many more...
Please share this job vacant to help other people