Planner II (Urban Designer/Development Planner II)
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Urban Designer/Development Planner II will be responsible for highly complex professional planning, urban design and development planning work related to the physical design and development of Vancouver’s public and private realm.
The successful candidate will provide built form and urban design advice on planning initiatives, rezoning applications and development applications involving small, medium and large-scale development and redevelopment. This work will include review and assessment of formal development proposals; development and implementation of urban design policies and guidelines; consultation and negotiation with internal and external stakeholders; presentations to panels, committees and Council; and, continuous improvement of associated processes.
The Urban Designer/Development Planner II will be a member of the Planning, Urban Design and Sustainability Department/Current Planning/Development Planning. The position will report to the Divisional Senior Planner team lead and the Assistant Director of Planning for Development Planning – Urban Design, Landscape and Heritage Groups.
Nature of Work
The work requires a high degree of design skill as well as critical thinking ability. It is undertaken in a multi-disciplinary team environment and involves both independent thought and co-operative decision-making. The subject matter can be controversial and requires thorough, conceptually clear and accurate responses to varied stakeholder interests.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Manage or coordinate the design development and approval process for development proposals requiring urban design or built form analysis from the initial enquiry stage through to final Development Permit approval, including:
- Evaluation and communication of advice and recommendations related to the City’s urban design policies and objectives.
- Consultation with internal and external stakeholders (e.g. Engineering Department or Public Open Houses).
- Consultation with relevant advisory bodies (e.g. Urban Design Panel or Persons with Disabilities Advisory Committee).
- Co-ordination of internal and external multi-disciplinary, multi-stakeholder design advice to ensure optimal overall urban design outcome.
- Development of project specific design directions and exploration of potential solutions.
- Presentation of final development proposals (written, verbal and visual) to relevant approving body (e.g. City Council, Development Permit Board or Director of Planning).
Undertake and/or manage urban design policy development including:
- Refinement of adopted policy, regulations and guidelines.
- Support creation of new policy, regulations and guidelines.
- Participation in major planning initiatives.
Undertake and/or manage process improvements such as:
- Systems refinement.
- Communications refinement.
- The position requires a high degree of skill, versatility, sound design judgement (strong skills in communicating urban design concepts graphically both digitally and by hand) and independent action within the parameters of work assignments, planning policies, by-laws and design guidelines. The work may also involve a high number of enquiries and public contact that requires consistent and accurate advice be given.
Education and Experience:
- University graduation, preferably with a post-graduate degree in architecture or urban design. Alternate qualifications in related fields of study will be considered, with relevant experience, including post-graduate degrees in Landscape Architecture or Community Planning,
- A minimum of seven years of professional experience in architecture or urban design is preferred, including extensive experience in the private sector.
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Architectural Institute of British Columbia or the relevant professional organization is desirable.
- Sustainable design system experience such as LEED or PassiveHouse Certification is desirable.
- Experience with project management and multi-disciplinary team leadership is desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated urban design, architecture and landscape architecture design knowledge.
- Demonstrated architectural or alternate design experience with an emphasis on large scale development.
- Demonstrated knowledge of sustainable building design and construction practices.
- Strong graphic skill, including use of AutoCAD, Sketch Up, Photoshop, etc.
- Strong verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Ability to establish co-operative working relationships, undertake negotiations and resolve conflicts with developers, design consultants, City departments and the general public.
- Ability to analyze complex situations, determine appropriate course of action and make recommendations to senior management.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects with tight timelines.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: December, 2020
Position End Date: December, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-031: $48.78 to $57.7 per hour
Application Close: October 25, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Note; Dear, this vacancy (or write up) is 100% FREE of cost, please don't pay any fee and DO NOT provide your financial documents, like Credit card/ Debit card and many more to anyone...
Please SHARE to help other people
Check if you qualify to work in Canada. It takes only about 1 minutes and it's FREE