Planner III (Urban Designer/Development Planner III) (Vancouver, British Columbia (BC), Canada)
Requisition ID: 21598
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The position will be responsible for highly complex professional urban design and development and planning work consisting of consultation, negotiation, review, analysis and development of urban design concepts for medium and major developments. The successful candidate will have experience managing small teams and to provide input into large-scale area planning programs, rezoning applications and a variety of special projects including public realm plans.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Consults, negotiates, reviews, analyses and develops urban design concepts in a highly complex professional urban design and development-planning environment.
- Provides urban design input and support into large-scale area planning programs, community planning, rezoning applications and a variety of special projects.
- Prepares reports, make presentations to relevant Panels, including the Urban Design Panel, the Development Permit Board, and City Council, and in public meetings and sessions is required.
- Project manages developments from the initial enquiry through to issuance of the development permit, manage a project team, oversee input from review groups, and resolve conflicts and co-ordinate hand-off to building staff.
- Manages professional and technical staff group within the Division
- Prepares sketches, plans and estimates for sections of the City as well as for individual buildings.
- Conducts correspondence with general public and other Departments on administrative and technical problems.
- Participates in meetings with developers, consultants, citizen committees and other special interest groups.
- Performs other related duties as required
Education and Experience:
- University graduation, preferably with a post-graduate degree in Architecture, Urban Design or Community and Regional Planning.
- A minimum of 10 years of professional experience in architecture and urban design, including extensive experience in the private sector, with demonstrated experience in management of large-scale projects.
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Architectural Institute of British Columbia is required.
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Planning Institute of British Columbia is desirable
- A valid BC Driver’s license is required. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated design ability with an emphasis on large-scale development.
- Superior verbal, graphic and written communication skills.
- Experience in leading teams and in project management.
- Ability to work within a team environment and within defined time lines.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in negotiating and conflict resolution.
- Considerable knowledge of governmental, legal and financial procedures for municipal development and of the City By-Laws relative to planning activities.
- Working knowledge of building construction.
- Some knowledge of the local potential for general development, the nature of local resources and the availability and costs of material and labour.
- Ability to be highly creative and use sound judgement in planning for future developments.
- Ability to organize, direct and supervise work of subordinates engaged in planning work.
- Ability to act in a liaison capacity coordinating work performed with that of several other sections and divisions of the Department and externally, with City and other Government Officials, consultants, private developers, builders, and other interested groups
- Working knowledge graphic software including AutoCAD, SketchUp, Photoshop, etc. is desirable.
A valid BC Driver’s license is required. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
Membership or eligibility for membership in the Architectural Institute of British Columbia is required.
Membership or eligibility for membership in the Planning Institute of British Columbia is desirable.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: November, 2020
Number of Positions: 2
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-034: $55.35 to $65.47 per hour
Application Close: October 16, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Note; Dear, this vacancy (or write up) is 100% FREE of cost, please don't pay any fee and DO NOT provide your financial documents, like Credit card/ Debit card and many more to anyone...
Please SHARE to help other people
Check if you qualify to work in Canada. It takes only about 1 minutes and it's FREE