The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The successful candidate will provide a wide range of technical support and assistance to the Downtown Eastside Planning Group and Chinatown Transformation team within the Community Planning Division. Key tasks will include graphic design, technical planning work, research, analysis and the preparation of reports. This position will be responsible for supporting the public consultation process including public open houses, workshops, public hearings, and may include enactment of by-laws, and providing responses to written rezoning enquiries.
The Planning Analyst will provide a range of professional and technical services as part of the Community Planning Division with an initial focus on development policy in the DTES, community development project activities and legacy actions related to preparation of a living heritage and cultural assets plan.
The Analyst plays a key role in:
- Organizing and facilitating public consultation processes
- Developing informational and graphic materials for public open houses, workshops and for inclusion in Council reports
- Summarizing public consultation processes and opinion surveys
- Maintaining and updates to websites
- Facilitating social media outreach
- Undertaking research, technical writing, mapping and data collection
- Responsibilities will also include technical research and analysis, project implementation, rezoning processes, project scoping and policy by-law amendment and development
Responsibilities for this position can also include:
- Preparing and coordinating materials for Public Hearings
- Preparing and reviewing land use by-laws and guideline documents
- Overseeing the by-law enactment process
- Preparing reports for minor by-law text amendments, rezoning proposals, and other policy reports
- Assisting in the preparation of planning policy, zoning, and guidelines
- Assessing, analyzing and presenting rezoning enquires for internal staff discussion;
- Responding to written enquiries
- The work is carried out in consultation with other City divisions and departments
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
- University degree in Planning
- Some professional planning experience or related university degree with experience related closely to the duties involved, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- The candidate must be able to work independently and participate successfully on work teams and with the public and to complete assignments using sound professional techniques and judgment.
- A proven ability to self-manage workload and meet time demands (e.g. prioritize tasks, communicate expected delivery of items with staff, request help when needed) is a requirement.
- Applicants must have strong interpersonal and communications skills, written and verbal, must be able to demonstrate sound research and analytical abilities and experience, and have an aptitude in the legal and technical aspects of planning work.
- Familiarity with rezoning processes and a working knowledge of zoning and land-use regulations, land development economics and urban design principles is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience working with the Chinese community, particularly community groups in Chinatown is an asset.
- Capability to read, write or speak in Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese), is an asset.
- A good working knowledge of Microsoft Office and graphics programs (e.g., Adobe Creative Suite) is required, and familiarity with GIS and other mapping software and 3D software (e.g., Sketchup) is an asset
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: December 2020
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-024: $36.45 to $43.04 per hour
Application Close: November 8, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Note; Dear, this vacancy (or write up) is 100% FREE of cost, please don't pay any fee and DO NOT provide your financial documents, like Credit card/ Debit card and many more to anyone...
Please SHARE to help other people
Check if you qualify to work in Canada. It takes only about 1 minutes and it's FREE