Project Manager II
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This Project Manager II position focusses on the early stages of capital projects, with an emphasis on long term planning, site optimization and feasibility options that test land use and built form. The objective of this work is to find the best value and outcome and to inform the decision making process going forward. Long term facility planning ensures that the City meets its present and future service needs in the most efficient and financially sustainable manner, aligning with the City’s strategic goals. This position will also be responsible for providing technical oversight of spaces delivered to the City via private development projects. This position provides input into the negotiation for community facilities by providing the City’s functional and technical requirements. Responsibilities include follow up on quality assurance through the delivery of the design and construction, ensuring projects meet the functional requirements of their intended use. This position also works with various City Departments on long term capital facilities planning. The Project Manager may also lead consultant teams in the design, construction, and delivery of civic capital projects.
- Provide planning for the early stages of capital projects, with an emphasis on long term planning, site optimization and feasibility options that test land use and built form.
- Focuses on providing technical oversight of spaces delivered to the City through private developments.
- Assist other City Departments in the receipt of Amenity Bonus / Community Amenity spaces, including liaising with Law Department on the agreements related to these spaces.
- Monitor the progress of the work related to budget, schedule, the program of requirements, including the City’s sustainability policies, quality and completeness; identify problems; evaluate if alternate approaches should be taken to meet the targets.
- Represent the City interest in meetings as the owner’s Project Manager.
- Act as the City’s representative and liaise between consultants, clients and City departments in matters pertaining to projects program, design, construction and contracts.
- Manage capital projects on behalf of the City, including: review of contracts with consultants, contractors etc. and recommend actions as appropriate; review of tenders and construction documents and obtain tenders; review of change orders, progress payment certificates, and invoices and recommend payment; review of construction to ascertain it is in general conformance with contract documents; review and maintain project cost data and issue monthly reports.
- Represent the Department on City committees as required.
- Prepare service level agreements as part of lease agreements for city owned facilities.
- Create new and update existing technical guidelines for delivery of civic facilities.
- Prepare project descriptions and/or conceptual plans to illustrate project requirements for project justification.
- Prepare project budget and Council Reports for approval by senior staff and Council.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- University degree in Architecture or Engineering
- Registered Professional Architect or Engineer in the Province of BC
- Project Management training/certificate such as a PMP designation would be an asset.
- Experience in the design and construction of civic buildings.
- Experience with utilizing urban planning principles and urban site optimization
- Experience in the project management of civic buildings and related facilities.
- Experience in estimating costs of a variety of building projects, types of materials, methods of estimating and classes of estimates.
- Extensive experience in preparing construction specifications and consulting agreements.
- Experience in structural and non-structural design-principles.
- Experience in preparing and managing capital budgets.
- Minimum of 10 years proven and progressive project management experience in facility development.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of institutional and sustainable building design and construction practices.
- Ability to review, analyze and effectively critique building plans, specifications and contract documents.
- Ability to deal effectively with architects, engineers, contractors, City Departments and the general public to establish cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to analyze complex situations, determine appropriate courses of action and prepare reports related to the same for discussion.
- Ability to write clear, concise and complete reports.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Results-oriented with the ability to effectively manage multiple projects with tight time lines.
- Knowledge of the Vancouver Building Bylaw.
- Knowledge of City of Vancouver Permit practices and Planning processes.
- Knowledge of the City’s set of business programs: Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook etc.
- Valid Driver’s License for the Province of BC.
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate & Facilities Mgmt (1100)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: November 2020
Posting Close Date: October 16, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities. The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Note; Dear, this vacancy (or write up) is 100% FREE of cost, please don't pay any fee and DO NOT provide your financial documents, like Credit card/ Debit card and many more to anyone...
Please SHARE to help other people
Check if you qualify to work in Canada. It takes only about 1 minutes and it's FREE