Job title: Science and Geographic Information System Data Technician
Job description: The Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) is a private, non-profit organization that prides itself on its entrepreneurial, science-based approach to achieving conservation success through direct action. Since 1962, NCC and its supporters have protected more than 2.8 million acres (1.1 million hectares) of ecologically significant land across Canada. NCC focuses on conservation through private action, and has a strong track record of partnering with individuals, corporations, community groups, conservation groups and government bodies to create win-win solutions that benefit nature.
PURPOSE AND GENERAL DESCRIPTION
The Science and Geographic Information System (GIS) Data Technician will work closely with the Conservation Science Manager, the GIS Coordinator, the GIS Assistant, and other NCC staff. The Science and GIS Data Technician will assist with a diversity of data management and quality control tasks, including creating, editing and manipulating spatial data (i.e. anthropogenic features, species at risk or non-native invasive species data), and reconciling NCC’s geodatabases and Land Information System (LIS) database.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Entering data into LIS and geodatabases;
- Editing and manipulating spatial data;
- Running data queries in LIS to identify data gaps, errors and discrepancies;
- Working with NCC staff to identify and resolve questions, inconsistencies, or missing data;
- Providing regular reporting on data entry and management progress;
- Assist with biological field work on occasion.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Proficient with ESRI ArcGIS software (ArcMap, ArcCatalog), including experience with data creation, editing, and querying;
- Proficient with Microsoft office (Excel, Word);
- Demonstrated experience managing large data sets and/or prior experience with data conversion/migration projects;
- Education or previous work experience related to geomatics or environmental sciences;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Highly motivated, analytical and detail oriented; creative, pro-active thinker;
- Excellent time management skills and ability to meet deadlines.
According to the funding requirements for this position, applicants must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of at the start of the employment;
- have been registered as full-time students in the 2017-2018 academic year;
- intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the 2018-2019 academic year;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment;
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial legislation and regulations;
- are not registered in a co-op program.
Terms of Employment:
- This is a full time (40 hours/week), 16 week position within the period of April 30 – August 31, 2018.
- ~ $16/hour.
- Fill out our brief questionnaire (please allow 5-10 minutes to complete): https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/78J7JFK
- Email your application to the email address that will be provided upon completion of the questionnaire, following the instructions provided.
To be considered for these positions, please ensure your:
- Email subject line is “2018 Science and GIS Data Technician – Ontario”
- cover letter is a maximum of one page long
- cover letter and resume are saved together in one pdf file
- pdf file name is your: First name Last name (e.g. “Jane Smith.pdf”)
Applications that do not fulfil these submission requirements will not be considered.
Application Deadline: Monday, February 26, 2018 (11:59 PM EST)
Late applications will not be considered.
No telephone calls please. We thank everyone who applies for their interest in the Nature Conservancy of Canada; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
At the Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) we strive to promote diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
NCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, we will provide accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require.
Expected salary: $16 per hour
Location: Guelph, ON
Job date: Sat, 05 Sep 2020 01:36:09 GMT
Apply for the job now!
Note; Dear candidates, this vacancy (or write up) is 100% free of cost, please don't pay any fee or do not provide your financial documents, like Credit card/ Debit card and many more...
Please share this job vacant to help other people