Security Attendant I – Evelyne Saller Community Centre
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh, Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities. The City of Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation, and the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Main Purpose & Function:
The Security Attendant I position reports to the Security Coordinator, and is responsible for front line service in the Evelyne Saller Community Centre which provides support services to diverse populations. The Evelyne Saller Community Centre serve as important resources to Vancouver’s diverse Downtown Eastside communities. Patrons can participate in educational, recreational, cultural and social programming; enjoy the delicious low cost meals offered at the Centre cafeteria; access life essential services such as laundry, showers, or sheltering services; or simply enjoy the Centre as the safe and welcoming places to connect with their neighbours.
The Security Attendant I is responsible for maintaining a safe, secure, and welcoming environment for individuals to access Centre Services. The Security Attendant I provides patrons with information on Evelyne Saller Centre services and activities; information on agencies and services in the area, makes referrals as required; monitors security in the building, operates the switchboard and, prepares electronic incident reports, makes logbook entries, and performs data entry tasks.
The Security Attendant I delivers security services in a calm, compassionate, professional manner by de-escalating situations, dealing with crises, responding to conflict and monitoring patron behaviour. The successful candidate will ensure that the Evelyne Saller Centre rules and standards of behavior are being observed; they monitor patrons entering or seeking entry to the centre; they make rounds of the building on a regular basis; offer assistance where required and perform related duties including routine janitorial duties as required.
The current shift is Monday to Friday from 3:00pm – 11:00pm however the successful candidate may be required to adjust their schedule as operationally required. The Security Attendant must be flexible in the hours of work and be able to support a 7 day work week and must be available for both daytime, afternoon and evening shifts.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintains a safe, healthy, and positive environment for staff, volunteers, patrons, and community members.
- Works tactfully and compassionately with individuals who may be drug/ alcohol addicted and /or isolated through poverty, homelessness, mental illness, or other factors of social exclusion.
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships and appropriate professional boundaries with staff, volunteers, and patrons.
- Presents self in a professional manner that demonstrates the values of the City of Vancouver and Community Services
- Enforces Evelyne Saller Centre policies and procedures in a clam, clear and compassionate manner
- Deals confidently and respectfully with volatile and unpredictable situations including those in which mental health and addiction issues are factors
- Works cooperatively with other service providers/agencies including other service providers, outreach workers, and 911 services including Police, Ambulance, and Fire as required
- Monitors access to the Centre and makes rounds all areas in the facility on a regular basis
- Operates security equipment as required including 2 way radios and CCTV camera equipment
- Maintains paper and electronic records including incident reports, log books, databases, mail lists and other related records
- Performs routine janitorial duties as required
- Administers basic first aid and maintains applicable records.
- Makes referrals to community agencies as needed
- Monitors and reports any facility issues including maintenance, cleanliness and pest control issues as per the Centre’s procedures
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 10 and, preferably, Occupational First Aid Level 1 or ability to get in upon hire
- Experience in a security position, combined with experience working with vulnerable populations preferably in a social service setting; Basic Security Training (BST) level 1 would be an asset.
- A clear Criminal Record Check is a requirement of the position
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent conflict management and de-escalation skills especially in unpredictable, volatile, and emergency situations including situations in which mental health and addiction are factors
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment and to do so independently when required
- Willing and able to enforce policies, procedure and rules in a firm and compassionate manner
- Understanding of and commitment to homeless populations who may also suffer from issues related to addiction, mental health, physical and/or cognitive disabilities and other issues related to poverty and marginalization.
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent decision-making and problem-solving skills especially in volatile, disruptive and emergency situations
- Good writing skills and ability to use MS Office applications for report writing and communications
Business Unit/Department: Arts, Culture and Community Services
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Parks
Employment Type: Regular Full time
Position Start Date: December 2020
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-013: $23.44 to $27.45 per hour
Application close date: November 15, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve e. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Note; Dear, this vacancy (or write up) is 100% FREE of cost, please don't pay any fee and DO NOT provide your financial documents, like Credit card/ Debit card and many more to anyone...
Please SHARE to help other people
Check if you qualify to work in Canada. It takes only about 1 minutes and it's FREE