Job title: Shorebird Interpreter – Johnson’s Mills
Job description: The Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) is a private, non-profit organization that prides itself on its entrepreneurial, science-based approach to achieving conservation success through direct action. Since 1962, NCC and its supporters have protected more than 14 million hectares (35 million acres) of ecologically significant land across Canada.
Purpose and General Description:
The interpreter will work at NCC’s Johnson’s Mills Shorebird Interpretive Centre acting as an interpretation guide to the people who visit every summer to watch the vast flocks of shorebirds, mostly Semipalmated Sandpipers that stop to feed on the extensive mudflats found here.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Educate the public on the ecology of the mudflats and the biology of the shorebirds, stressing the importance of not disturbing the birds as they roost on the beaches at high tide, and assisting with the use of spotting scopes and binoculars to identify shorebird species;
- Conduct daily counts of shorebirds and identify species present;
- Monitor and record the presence and species of raptors in the area and the number of shorebirds preyed on;
- Perform day to day maintenance tasks at the centre and surrounding land.
Required Skills and Attributes:
This posting is targeted to someone possessing the following skills and abilities:
- University or College student entering final years of study, or recent graduate in biology or related field;
- Experience in interpretation an asset (park or tourist attraction);
- Punctual, responsible, dependable, and organized;
- Able to work with little supervision;
- Bilingual (French and English) preferred;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
- Standard First Aid – Level C CPR first-aid certification;
- Valid driver’s license;
- Comfortable speaking in front of the general public and in a high-profile setting with regular media exposure.
Terms of Employment:
- This is a full-time 12 week (June – September) position and will include weekend and evening shifts;
- Salary will be between $14/hour;
- Candidates must have been attending university or college in the areas of Science or Technology in the semester leading up to the June 08, 2020 start date.
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment;
- Must have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations;
*Position will be based at Johnson’s Mills, approximately 30 km from Sackville/50 km from Moncton, NB, and the intern must be able to commute.
Interested applicants must apply through the Nature Conservancy of Canada jobs website at http://www.natureconservancy.ca/en/who-we-are/work-with-us/ and click on Conservation Internship Program
Application Deadline: March 1, 2020
We thank everyone who applies for their interest in the Nature Conservancy of Canada; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Expected salary: $14 per hour
Job date: Sat, 05 Sep 2020 00:28:38 GMT
Apply for the job now!
Note; Dear candidates, this vacancy (or write up) is 100% free of cost, please don't pay any fee or do not provide your financial documents, like Credit card/ Debit card and many more...
Please share this job vacant to help other people