What is a shunter driver and a banksman and what do they do?
A shunter driver is the person who is responsible for maneuvering vehicles around a yard, onto loading bays etc.
Shunter drivers manoeuvre vehicles around a site. These could be uncoupling trailer units and moving them to the holding bays, storage areas, loading bays etc.
A banksman is the person who gives clear instructions using a hand signalling system to shunter drivers / LGV drivers when vehicles need to be moved around a company site.
Both shunter drivers and banksmen are normally engaged in other activities within their roles such as loading and unloading, moving stock, general yard duties etc.
Is a shunter driver and a banksman different?
Yes a shunter driver is the person actually manoeuvring the vehicles and a banksman is the signalman for the shunter driving, giving clear instructions using hand signals to allow the vehicle to manoeuvre safely and to the correct position.
Is it necessary to have both a shunter driver and a banksman?
Banksmen should only be used when there is no other way to control reversing risks. Because they often have to stand relatively close to a vehicle when it is reversing, it is very important that they are properly trained and competent. In some industries, banksmen are only used in exceptional circumstances because of the size of vehicles involved.
What qualifications does a shunter driver need?
No formal qualifications are required to be a shunter driver however; employers must ensure that all their employees are fully trained to competently carry out their duties in a safe and efficient manner. This means that all shunter drivers should receive training on how to safety manoeuvre.
Shunter drivers should also be fully aware of and understand the banksman hand signalling system that is used universally throughout Europe.
READ MORE HERE about a Shunter Driver and a Banksman.
- Ability to perform all of the required duties of the position with a familiarization period
- Shift work is required
- Ability to work standard 40hrs M-F work week or modified weekend work shift (2 x 12hr shifts).
- Ability to work overtime when required.
- Ability to meet all physical demands of the job which includes, for example, lifting, frequent stair climbing, bending, sitting, standing, walking on uneven surfaces
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Self-starter with ability to plan your work day to supply required trailers in an efficient manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with peers, supervisors, 3rd party contractors both in a team and individually.
- Organized and takes pride in their work.
Shunter Driver Job Expectations
- Demonstrated ability to follow and understand Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures (SSOPs) to produce quality beer.
- Able to work in a safe manner and follow all EH&S safety policies / procedures.
- Responsible for completing all required safety checks
- Responsible for abiding by London Brewery Rules and Departmental policies.
- Responsible for following required BRC/HACCP standards.
- Responsible for proactively communicating with colleagues and managers on issues affecting the business.
- Responsible for maintaining excellent attendance and arriving for work on time.
- Expected to strive for continuous improvement in all job functions and within the department.
- Expected to proactively assist co-workers to resolve production issues, and to ask for help when necessary.
Shunter Driver Qualifications
- AZ License with Minimum 5 years driving experience and accident free record
- Clean Drivers Abstract with no major convictions or suspensions
- Excellent plant discipline and attendance record.
- Basic mechanical understanding
- Ability to safely and efficiently maneuver multiple trailer sizes and Tractor types including B-Trains, Quad axles, yard and highway tractors in tight spaces and traffic
- Willingness to learn the new Inventory Management System
THE OPPORTUNITY IS HERE!
For more than 160 years, Labatt has created enduring bonds with consumers as they share memorable experiences while enjoying iconic brands like Alexander Keith’s, Labatt Blue, Budweiser and Stella Artois.
Labatt employees share the dream of becoming the best, most profitable beer company in a better world with their Anheuser-Busch InBev colleagues worldwide.
Labatt is one of Canada’s most recognized brands and most respected corporations. We take responsibility for improving the world where we do business, and together we find ways of putting social responsibility into action. We’re also committed to building a company for the long-term with a legacy to be proud of – for the people who work for us and with us; for future generations and the environment; and above all for our consumers.
Accessibility: We are committed to fair and equitable recruiting practices. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to come forward at any stage of the recruitment process to request accommodations, if needed. Members of our team will consult and create processes that provide individuals with disabilities the best possible recruitment experience
Job Function: Logistics
Primary Location: Canada-Ontario-London-London Brewery
Job Type: Permanent
Seniority level: Entry level
Employment type: Full-time
Job function: Management, Manufacturing
Industries: Marketing and Advertising, Food & Beverages, Consumer Goods
Note; Dear candidates, this vacancy is 100% free of cost, please don't pay any fee or do not provide your financial documents, like Credit card/ Debit card and many more...
The Company only, call the interview those who are selected
Please share this job vacant to help other people