Connect with us

Canadian immigration applicants now only need to submit highest degree for ECA


Canadian immigration applicants now only need to submit highest degree for ECA

Published on December 24th, 2020 at 04:00am EST

Most people who apply for Canadian immigration need to submit a document verifying that their foreign degrees, diplomas, and certificates have a valid Canadian equivalent.

This document is called an Educational Credential Assessment, or ECA for short. One of the providers who is certified by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to handle ECAs, WES, recently announced that immigration applicants only need to submit their highest completed credential.

WES discourages clients to submit any additional credentials for assessment, as it will slow down the process. Also, ECAs are not needed for Canadian credentials.

As of November 2020, those who have a PhD do not need to submit a bachelor鈥檚 degree or master鈥檚 degree to be assessed. The same goes for those who have a master鈥檚 degree, or a bachelor鈥檚 degree.

Find out if you鈥檙e eligible for Canadian immigration

The instructions are a little different for those who went to school in a francophone country, and there may be some outliers who will have to send in additional credentials. However, if their highest credential is a DEUG, DUT or Licence, then they do not need to send in their Dipl么me du Bac, or BEP.聽 Those who have the following do not need to submit their DEUG, DUT or Licence for evaluation:

  • Ma卯trise, Master, Dipl么me d鈥橧ng茅nieur;
  • Dipl么me de Grandes 脡coles;
  • DEA;
  • Dipl么me d鈥櫭塼at de Docteur en M茅dicine; or
  • Dipl么me d鈥橢tat de Docteur en Pharmacie.
IRCC gradually resuming in-person services

Those whose have a Dipl么me de Docteur do not need to submit their:

  • Ma卯trise, Master, Dipl么me d鈥橧ng茅nieur,
  • Dipl么me de Grandes 脡coles;
  • DEA;
  • Dipl么me d鈥橢tat de Docteur en M茅decine; or
  • Dipl么me d鈥橢tat de Docteur en Pharmacie.

Translations are not required for documents submitted in French. Most documents submitted in other languages will have to be translated, however there may be some exceptions depending on which documents WES requires.

Certain applicants from India will also have to submit additional credentials.

Indian applicants who are sending in a master鈥檚 degree or postgraduate diploma to get assessed also have to send their bachelor鈥檚 degree. There are some exceptions: people with a Master of Education, Master of Engineering, Master of Philosophy, or Master of Technology degree. Also, those who have a PhD do not need to send a bachelor鈥檚 or master鈥檚 degree for evaluation.

ECA for Express Entry

People who apply for Canadian immigration through the Express Entry system may need an ECA.

Those who completed education outside Canada need an assessment for two important reasons: to be eligible as the principal applicant for the Federal Skilled Workers Program, or to earn Comprehensive Ranking System points for foreign education.

Express Entry candidates who are applying with a spouse or common-law partner can earn points if their partner also gets an ECA for their foreign credentials.

Points will only be given if the report shows that the foreign credential is equal to a completed Canadian high school or post-secondary credential.

ECAs submitted for immigration purposes must not be more than five years old when applicants submit their Express Entry profile, or apply for permanent residence.

Canada welcomed 11,000 immigrants in August 2020

Get a Free Express Entry Assessment

漏 CIC News All Rights Reserved. Visit to discover your Canadian immigration options.


Note; Dear, this vacancy (or write up) is 100% FREE of cost, please don't pay any fee and DO NOT provide your financial documents, like Credit card/ Debit card and many more to anyone...

Please SHARE to help other people

Check if you qualify to work in Canada. It takes only about 1 minutes and it's FREE

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


To Top