Library Service Assistant
Company: Vancouver Public Library
Worksite: Kitsilano Branch
The Vancouver Public Library (VPL) is the third largest public library system in Canada, with 800 staff members offering services at 21 branches across the city. VPL values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly service. Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive, and rewarding workplace.
Job Summary: Reporting to a Branch Supervisor, the incumbent is responsible for sorting and shelving a variety of materials, maintaining order and neatness of public areas and basic preparation of books and materials. Assists in the processing, sorting of materials and with circulation desk duties. Meets established Library strategic objectives and service standards. Demonstrates and models conduct that adheres to the library’s policies and procedures in accordance with the Library’s vision, mission and values. The incumbent works at a branch and works collaboratively within their team and system-wide to ensure service priorities are met.
- Experience in a customer service environment; some experience in a library setting is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Good customer service skills.
- Good working knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation and arithmetic.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to plan, organize and carry out assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to perform routine tasks with a high degree of physical stamina and accuracy.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with team members.
- Working knowledge of the objectives, organization, procedures, services and resources of the library sufficient to refer patrons appropriately.
Affiliation: CUPE 391
Employment Type: Posted Part Time
Salary: $20.84 to $24.36 per hour
Tuesday (KIT) – 8:30-12:30pm
Wednesday (KIT) – 8:30-12:30pm
Thursday (KIT) – 8:30-12:30pm
Friday (KIT) – 8:30-12:30pm (Shift will revert to another branch in future)
Saturday (KIT) – 8:30-12:30pm
Note: Work schedules may change with reasonable notice.
Closing date: Monday, January 18, 2021 at 11:59pm
We thank all applicants for their interest. The applicant must be prepared to work at any location in the system. A Police Record Check is a condition of employment. Please refer to our policy for further information. Personal information collected is used in accordance with the BC Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Vancouver Public Library is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to further diversifying the Library.
VPL Safety Protocols for Interviews:
In order to ensure the safety and well-being of staff during the pandemic we are offering the option of in-person or virtual interviews. Virtual interviews will be conducted over Zoom. Zoom interviews may be conducted from home or from the Central Library where a computer with video camera will be available.
For staff who prefer in-person interviews, we have the following safe Interviewing during the Pandemic protocols:
- Only come to your interview if you are feeling well – if you are feeling unwell contact email@example.com to reschedule
Expect to be asked the following questions when you are contacted for an interview and on the day of your interview:
- Have you travelled outside of Canada or had close contact with anyone that has travelled outside Canada in the past 14 days?
- Do you have a fever, sore throat, or difficulty breathing?
- Have you had close contact with anyone with a respiratory illness or a confirmed or probable case of COVID 19?
- Interviews will be scheduled in a staggered manner to minimize contact between candidates
- Candidates should arrive only 5 minutes before their scheduled interview time to minimize time spent in waiting areas
- Candidates and each interviewer will maintain at least two meters (six feet) of physical distance between each other
- Only Interview rooms that can accommodate this physical distancing will be used
- Candidates and Interviewers may choose to wear face masks as a protective measure
- Antibacterial gel will be provided to candidates as soon as they enter the HR area
- We will no longer be shaking hands at the introduction and conclusion of the interview
- Where to sit will be clearly indicated and where possible chairs with hard surfaces and without arm rests will be used
- Sanitized pens/pencils will be provided and returned to HR to sanitize – you are welcome to bring your own pen or pencil
- Instead of the usual pad of paper being provided to the candidate, a single sheet of paper will be provided
- Candidates are asked to bring only what they need to the interview including water (as a glass of water will no longer be offered)
- High-touch areas (e.g. the hard surfaces of the chair and table) will be wiped down after each interview with disinfecting wipes
Note; Dear, this vacancy (or write up) is 100% FREE of cost, please don't pay any fee and DO NOT provide your financial documents, like Credit card/ Debit card and many more to anyone...
Please SHARE to help other people
Check if you qualify to work in Canada. It takes only about 1 minutes and it's FREE