Superintendent II, Traffic Operations and Administration
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Superintendent II is responsible for the strategic planning and maintenance of City of Vancouver infrastructure (street lighting, traffic signals, road marking and signage). The position is responsible for traffic operations and day-to-day functions of the Painting crew, sign shop and administrative office. Overseeing operating budgets in excess of $12 million/year, the Superintendent II is responsible for the safe execution of work that delivers value for money to the citizens of Vancouver.
The Superintendent II plays a large role in planning and leads the work towards excellence in service delivery, in accordance with the Corporate Business Plan, policies and programs. The position is responsible for defining and analyzing metrics, writing reports, presenting information and planning work in coordination with other departments. The Superintendent II also oversees performance planning and management, attendance management, and various labour-management activities; leads the branch’s safety program and makes sure it is compliant; and coordinates DOC activities and manages the emergency dispatch team.
The position reports to the Manager Traffic, Electrical Operations and Design Branch and manages a large team comprised of clerical support staff, trades people, supervisors and Superintendents.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads a team of exempt staff and Supervisors in scheduling, planning and directing of construction and maintenance activities related to traffic operations, road painting, signage (and street lighting, traffic signals) through an overarching project management framework
- Ensures application and adherence of staff to the Occupational Health and Safety program, including managing emergency response and assisting with accident investigations
- Leads and directs human resources activities for the team including recruitment and selection, assigning responsibilities, labour relations, performance management, attendance management, discipline, grievance handling, and other personnel issues including staff coaching and mentoring
- Develops strong relationships with key stakeholder to ensure ongoing success in coordinating activities that impact each other
- Develops metrics and targets for infrastructure work, in alignment with corporate objectives; implements strategies to ensure targets are met
- Develops and maintains the operating budget planning and spending
- Provides guidance on complex or high-profile inquiries and requests from members of the public, Council and other departments
- Develops business cases to drive improvements in service delivery and efficiencies in operating process
- Identifies and implements innovative technical, policy or process changes which are in-line with industry best practices as well as corporate goals and objectives
- Partners with Supply Chain Management to establish and maintain contracts for materials and services and approves purchases from applicable contracts in accordance with Corporate Policies
- Acts as an On-Call Superintendent during non-scheduled working hours
Education and Experience:
- Degree or Diploma in Engineering or Public Works a minimum of eight years’ related experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Minimum of five years of supervisory and leadership experience in leading diverse and multidisciplinary teams within a unionized environment
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License for the Province of British Columbia
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety standards including WorkSafeBC regulations
- Comprehensive knowledge of construction and maintenance activities related to traffic operations and Ministry of Transportation requirements
- Excellent knowledge of management principles, policies and practices including recruitment and selection, leadership, performance, attendance management and collective agreements
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to motivate, engage and mentor staff
- Excellent problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent communication (oral and written), interpersonal and presentation skills
- Ability to develop and maintain positive, productive relationships at all levels in the organization and external stakeholders
- Ability to prepare and oversee operating budget, forecasts, cost controls, scheduling and work planning
- Ability to initiate and implement creative and innovative technical, policy or process changes while ensuring buy-in from staff and other stakeholders
- Ability to learn and adapt to new systems and technology
- Ability to exercise tact and discretion in dealing with confidential and sensitive matters
- Proficient in the use of software applications and databases
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: January 2021
Application Close: November 29, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Note; Dear, this vacancy (or write up) is 100% FREE of cost, please don't pay any fee and DO NOT provide your financial documents, like Credit card/ Debit card and many more to anyone...
Please SHARE to help other people
Check if you qualify to work in Canada. It takes only about 1 minutes and it's FREE