Transportation Design Engineer
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Transportation Design branch is responsible for the design and implementation of transportation projects to help the City reach its goals of zero transportation-related fatalities and having over 2/3’s of all trips in the city made by sustainable modes by 2040. A core component of the work is preparing 2D geometric roadway designs and paint plans to support these projects. Beyond implementation of capital projects, the branch also supports other departments in the City with transportation issues.
The branch is looking for a transportation engineer to support the Senior Transportation Program Engineer in project and program planning and oversight of the design teams. The successful candidate will be responsible for direct supervision of approximately 8 geometric designers and three landscape design staff and is responsible for the coordination and management of geometric and landscape designs. The transportation engineer will work cross-functionally with other branches, City departments and external stakeholders to coordinate the delivery of transportation designs. Initially, they will also assist in oversight of branch programs and internal branch process improvement, including the branch’s OQM procedures.
- Supports the Senior Transportation Program Engineer in the coordination and delivery of transportation designs;
- Directly supervises the geometric design team and others for design support;
- Provides guidance in the prioritization of transportation designs across the City;
- Coordinates the delivery of transportation designs with other branches, departments and external stakeholders as appropriate;
- Provides advice for the review of complex designs with a focus on the implementation of the Transportation 2040 plans;
- Responsible for design of small to medium complexity transportation projects;
- Works directly with other departments to help deliver City wide programs such as the new sidewalk, curb ramps, spot improvements and school programs;
- Helps oversee compliance with the City’s OQM process and help implement design procedures to improve the implementation of quality practices;
- Help guide the development of design guidelines and procedures, and conducts analysis and research for various levels of internal management as well as external stakeholders and civic agencies;
- Keeps current on emerging trends and best practices in the design of active transportation infrastructure, public realm and complete street design;
- Prepares and delivers technical presentations to the public and external agencies;
- Manages consultant contracts and review external work whenever required;
- Acts as technical lead and liaison for a variety of design projects and programs that require transportation design input.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of a University Degree in Transportation or Civil Engineering, plus a minimum of four years of experience working in Transportation design and/or Engineering is required; experience in a municipal context is preferred
- Registration or eligibility for registration as a professional engineer in British Columbia
- Geometric Design experience (ie. Work experience, certification or course work)
- Experience supervising technical teams is required, ideally within a unionized environment
- Experience with transportation policy, green infrastructure, urban design and active transportation corridors, analysis of transportation options, and walking and cycling design guidelines is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and training in leadership and management
- Advanced knowledge in management and process improvement
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Sound knowledge of active transportation design, innovative practices and approaches to active transportation in complex urban environments
- Strong knowledge of design practices in active transportation at the City of Vancouver
- Ability to establish good working relationship with a diverse team
- Proven ability to work independently to produce quality materials and recommendations within tight timeframes
- Works effectively and independently with City staff, resident groups, businesses, individuals, property owners and other stakeholders on behalf of the City to achieve and implement active transportation projects
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: February, 2021
Position End Date: February, 2023
Application Close: January 31, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply through our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Note; Dear, this vacancy (or write up) is 100% FREE of cost, please don't pay any fee and DO NOT provide your financial documents, like Credit card/ Debit card and many more to anyone...
Please SHARE to help other people
Check if you qualify to work in Canada. It takes only about 1 minutes and it's FREE